- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 cup beer or water
- 1 fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbs corn or olive oil
- 2 cup s uncooked rice
- 2 medium jalapeno chiles, minced
- 2 cup s chicken broth or water
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 6 pork blade steaks, (1/2-3/4-inch thick), seasoned with salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in large skillet; add pork. Sear pork on both sides on medium-high heat just until brown, about 1 minute on each side. Remove from skillet and cover loosely with foil.
2. Add garlic and onions to skillet. Cook and stir until tender, about 2 minutes, scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet. Add rice, stirring constantly until rice just begins to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, jalapeno chiles, beer and broth or water. Bring to boil; cover. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Place pork on top of rice; cover. Simmer 8 or 9 minutes until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145° F. Let stand 3-5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired.
4. Chicken broth or water may be substituted for the beer in this recipe. If using water only, additional salt and pepper may be needed.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the National Pork Board, http://www.porkbeinspired.com