- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1.25 ounce s taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves plus additional for garnish (optional)
- 16 ounce s dried black beans
- 2 cup s long-grain white rice
- 32 ounce s reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 clove s garlic, crushed with press
- 4 ounce s diced mild green chiles
1. In colander, rinse beans with cold water; discard any shriveled beans. In large saucepot, add beans and enough water to cover by 2 inches; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain beans.
2. In 5 to 6-quart slow cooker, combine beans, undrained chiles, broth, taco seasoning, garlic and onion. Cover with lid and cook on high 4-1/2 to 5 hours or on low 9 to 10 hours or until beans are tender.
3. Meanwhile, prepare rice as label directs.
4. Just before serving, stir cilantro and lime juice into beans. Serve beans over rice sprinkled with additional cilantro, if desired. Makes about 7 cups beans and 4 cups rice.